Brush Oral Health Training for WIC
Children need healthy teeth to eat the healthiest foods: dental decay affects the health and nutritional status of millions of children. During the Brush Oral Health Training for WIC, participants will gain knowledge of the background of the problem of dental decay in young children and ways we can use the new Brush materials to work together with parents and caregivers to solve it.
Brush materials for WIC, such as the parent flip-chart, low-literacy information handouts, and children’s books will give you new resources to use in the fight against dental decay. All resources for parents and children are also in Spanish. The training also gives scripts and PowerPoints to use in teaching the 3 brush modules developed for WIC group education.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be able to:
- Identify the ways in which primary (baby) teeth are important to a child’s health, nutritional status and success in school;
- Understand the importance of primary teeth in child development;
- Understand the characteristics and causes of dental decay;
- Learn about the importance of nutrition in preventing decay;
- Learn how to use the Brush curriculum and parent materials to promote oral health through WIC.
- The extent of the problem of dental decay in young children
- How oral health affects healthy growth and development in young children
- The impact of dental decay on nutrition, general health and school success
- Identify the early signs of dental decay
- Understand how to prevent dental decay
- Understand the relationship between dental decay and nutritional choices
- Understand the 5 themes of the Brush materials
- Understand how to use the Brush materials in practice
- Understand how to use the 3 Brush group education modules in practice